Sunday, September 20, 2009

Hymn for Him: May the Mind of Christ, My Savior

"Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ." (Ephesians 5:19-20) I love hymns. They are so rich in messages, meanings, & melodies, and deep in thoughts & feelings towards God; they are truly inspiring, and often Biblically-based.

"Hymns breathe the praise of the saints,
The vision of the prophets,
The prayers of the penitent and the spirit of the martyrs.
They bring solace to the sad, assurance to the perplexed,
Faith to the doubter and comfort to the oppressed.
They span the centuries of history and bridge the barriers of denominations.
Study them to be pure in heart;
Sing them to be joyful in spirit,
Store them in the mind to possess a treasury of worship."

~Unknown

Appreciation of hymns and singing of hymns are increasingly uncommon in most of today’s churches and Christian families. Hymns are becoming like lost treasures. They have such rich history behind them/their writers that we can learn from. We hope you all will be blessed by this column, “Hymn for Him.”

Our first Hymn for Him is May the Mind of Christ, My Savior by Kate B. Wilkinson (1859-1928).

May the mind of Christ, my Savior, live in me from day to day, by His love and pow’r controlling all I do and say.
May the Word of God dwell richly in my heart from hour to hour, so that all may see I triumph only thru His pow’r.
May the peace of God, my Father, rule my life in ev’rything that I may be calm to comfort sick and sorrowing.
May the love of Jesus fill me, as the waters fill the sea; Him exalting, self-abasing–this is victory.
May I run the race before me strong and brave to face the foe, looking only unto Jesus as I onward go.
May His beauty rest upon me as I seek the lost to win, and may they forget the channel, seeing only Him.

This hymn is our prayer. We desire to be Christ-like in our thoughts, attitudes, speech, actions, and reactions/responses. Take time to reflect on this hymn and Philippians 2:1-16. May we imitate Christ’s humility, share His self-less love, embrace His peace, and live according to His Word!

You can listen to this hymn at http://songsandhymns.org/player/?hymn=May-the-Mind-of-Christ-My-Savior .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter